7 – foundationless frames (or frames with foundation if that’s what you prefer)
1 – frame of old brood comb (if you don’t have any see Loading Swarm Traps)
1- snack size zip-lock bag
Lemongrass oil (LGO) (preferably in a bottle with a dropper)
A paper towel (ripped approximately in half)
A tube of 100% silicone
- Gather your LGO, dropper, paper towel, and zip-lock bag. Fold your half – paper towel so that it will fit inside the zip-lock. Take the dropper and put 5-10 drops of LGO onto the paper towel. I usually do 6 drops in half my traps and 8 drops in the other half. Place it inside the zip-lock and seal it leaving about 1” of one side unsealed.
- Place 1 frame of old brood comb roughly in the center and the foundationless or undrawn frames around it until they are all in there. 3 on one side and 4 on the other. I have seen on forums that others do this by placing the brood comb on one side or the other with all the empty frames in the center. That may work. I began doing it this way and it has worked well enough for me to not change anything.
- Place the bag with the paper towel in it on top of the frames
- Align and place your lid on the trap.
- After securing the lid I like to put a little dab of 100% silicone on the screw heads to keep water from penetrating the plywood top.
- You are ready to go hang that thing on a tree!!!